Intel Xeon Scalable processors are Intel’s most advanced processor family, designed to deliver optimal performance, power efficiency, and enhanced security for the most demanding and emerging workloads, from the edge to the cloud. These processors feature built-in accelerators that optimize workload-specific performance, accelerate artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities, reduce data center latency, eliminate data bottlenecks, and balance resource consumption.
The 5th generation of Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, codenamed Emerald Rapids, was introduced in late 2023 and represents a qualitative leap in the evolution of this processor family. These processors deliver unmatched AI performance from the CPU, with the same power features, software, and platform compatibility as the previous generation. In addition, they incorporate new technologies and improvements that make them faster, smarter and safer than ever.
Key Features of 5th Generation Intel Xeon Scalable Processors
5th Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors are based on the Sapphire Rapids architecture, which uses a 10nm manufacturing process and offers up to 64 cores and 128 threads per processor. These processors have the following main characteristics:
- Intel® AI Engines: These are integrated accelerators that allow you to run AI inference and training natively on the CPU, without the need for additional hardware. These AI engines include Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (Intel® AVX-512) with Intel® Deep Learning Boost (Intel® DL Boost), which accelerates low-precision floating-point and integer operations, and Intel® Advanced Matrix Extensions (Intel® AMX), which accelerate high-precision matrix operations. These AI engines can deliver up to 8x the AI performance of the previous generation.
- Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory 200 Series is a revolutionary memory technology that combines the benefits of DRAM memory and SSD storage, delivering unprecedented capacity, persistence, and speed. This memory allows you to expand the system memory capacity up to 6 TB per processor, which facilitates the processing of large data sets and reduces data access latency. In addition, this memory supports encryption and data integrity, which improves system security and reliability.
- Intel® Ultra Path Interconnect (Intel® UPI) is a high-speed, low-latency interconnect technology that allows up to 8 processors to be connected in a single system, increasing scalability and its bandwidth. This technology offers a transfer speed of up to 16 GT/s per link, which is 33% more than the previous generation.
- Intel® Speed Select Technology (Intel® SST): is a technology that allows you to configure the performance and power consumption of each processor core independently, allowing you to optimize the balance between both depending on the needs of each workload. This technology offers three operating modes: base mode, which offers maximum performance of all cores; turbo mode, which offers the maximum performance of some cores; and Preferential Frequency Mode, which delivers maximum single-core performance.
- Intel® Total Memory Encryption Technology (Intel® TME): is a technology that encrypts all system memory, including persistent Intel® Optane™ memory, with a single key generated by the processor . This technology protects sensitive data from possible physical or logical attacks, without affecting system performance.
- Intel® Software Guard Extensions Technology (Intel® SGX): is a technology that creates protected areas of memory, called enclaves, where confidential applications can run securely, without being accessed by other external processes or agents. This technology improves the privacy and integrity of data and code, especially in shared cloud environments.
Benefits of 5th Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors for Different Industries
5th Generation Intel , cybersecurity, virtualization, storage, network and 5G. Some of the benefits that these processors bring to these sectors are the following:
- Edge computing: 5th Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors enable the deployment of edge computing solutions that can process large volumes of data generated by connected devices, such as cameras, sensors, drones or autonomous vehicles, quickly, efficiently and safely. These solutions can offer value-added services, such as video analysis, facial recognition, anomaly detection, quality control or driver assistance, which require high performance of AI and low latency.
- Cloud Computing: 5th Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors enable flexible, scalable and secure cloud infrastructures that can support a wide variety of workloads and services, from web and mobile applications to e-commerce and social media platforms. These infrastructures can offer greater capacity, greater speed and greater reliability, as well as greater protection of customer data and code.
- High Performance Computing (HPC): 5th Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors enable you to build HPC systems that can solve scientific, technical or business problems of great complexity and magnitude, requiring high computing power and large memory capacity. These systems can offer higher performance, greater efficiency and greater scalability, as well as greater integration of AI and data analysis capabilities.
- Data Analytics: 5th Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors enable data analytics solutions that can process, store and analyze large amounts of structured and unstructured data from a variety sources and formats, quickly, accurately and cost-effectively. These solutions can offer greater processing capacity, faster access speed and greater data security, as well as greater integration of AI and learning capabilities automatic.
- Artificial intelligence: 5th generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors enable the implementation of artificial intelligence solutions that can learn, reason and act intelligently, based on the analysis of large amounts of data and the use of advanced algorithms. These solutions can offer greater inference and training capacity, greater accuracy and greater versatility, as well as greater integration of HPC and data analytics capabilities.
- Cybersecurity: 5th generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors allow you to deploy cybersecurity solutions that can protect systems, data and communications from possible threats, attacks or vulnerabilities, both internal li>
In conclusion, 5th Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors are an innovative and powerful solution for the high-performance computing needs of various industries and applications. These processors deliver unmatched AI performance from the CPU, expanded and persistent memory capacity, high-speed, low-latency interconnection, flexible performance and consumption configuration, and enhanced data and code security. These processors represent the future of computing.
At Ibertrónica.es we will soon have 5th generation scalable Intel® Xeon® processors.